Memo Ochoa is reportedly set for a sixth World Cup before retirement

ochoa

Fabrizio Romano reported Thursday that Guillermo “Memo” Ochoa is expected to be part of Mexico’s 2026 World Cup squad, a selection that would send the 40-year-old goalkeeper to his sixth tournament and precede the end of his professional career after the competition. The roster piece still carries one important qualifier: Mexico has not yet released its final squad. Romano’s post says Ochoa will make the squad, while Mexico’s final World Cup list is due June 1.

Javier Aguirre announced a domestic-based training camp group this week, with the Mexican Football Federation describing those players as under consideration for the final squad. Ochoa, who plays for AEL Limassol in Cyprus, sits outside that Liga MX camp structure.

Ochoa’s relationship with the World Cup stretches across the modern history of the Mexican national team. He was part of Mexico’s squads in 2006, 2010, 2014, 2018, and 2022. The first two were roster appearances rather than match appearances, but from 2014 onward, his World Cup identity became tied to the games themselves, including his penalty save against Robert Lewandowski in Qatar.

The return to this point was not automatic. In 2024, Ochoa wasn’t Mexico’s first pick for Copa America, part of a generational reset before the home World Cup cycle. Mexico left him out of the Copa America squad while naming younger players with 2026 and 2030 in mind. This March, Aguirre recalled him for World Cup warm-ups against Portugal and Belgium, bringing him back into a goalkeeper group that included Raúl Rangel and Carlos Acevedo.

The goalkeeper picture changed again when Luis Ángel Malagón ruptured his Achilles tendon with Club América and was ruled out of the World Cup. Malagón had moved into a central place in Mexico’s plans, and his absence reopened the discussion around experienced options. Ochoa’s reported inclusion is not surprising in that context, but it still waits on the formal list.

A career reaching its final decision

The retirement element has stronger public backing than the roster element. In an interview published by TUDN, Ochoa said his farewell to the Mexican national team after the 2026 World Cup is planned, and he acknowledged that his club career could end as well. That makes Romano’s report less of a standalone surprise than the continuation of a decision Ochoa had already placed in view.

If Mexico confirms him, Ochoa would move beyond the country’s famous five-tournament group. Antonio Carbajal and Rafael Márquez played in five men’s World Cups, a record later matched by Lothar Matthäus and Márquez before the current generation expanded the list. Ochoa has already been named to five Mexico World Cup squads. A sixth would set him apart as a squad presence across 20 years of tournaments.

For Mexico, the selection would also show how Aguirre is balancing age and transition for World Cup 2026. The domestic camp already points toward younger players and a changing squad. Ochoa’s role, if confirmed, would be different from the one he carried as Mexico’s starting goalkeeper across the last three tournaments. It would be built around readiness, depth and the value of knowing what the tournament demands.

For Ochoa, the reported call would be a final assignment with paperwork still pending. The official confirmation has to wait. The available reporting points in one direction: a goalkeeper once moved aside during a youth-focused reset has been drawn back into Mexico’s World Cup plans, while the end of his playing career has become a stated possibility rather than a distant question. If the final list matches the reporting, his sixth tournament will not function as a restart. It will function as the close of a career.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top